Summer is right around the corner and if I haven’t praised it enough, even mixed chicks need sunscreen. However, the perfect sun protection can be difficult if your skin is on the tanner/darker side. Sometimes the sunscreen appears too white and chalky for darker skin tones which is never a good look. After reviewing a few sunscreens, I thought I’d share my thoughts.
1. Cerave AM Facial Moisturizing Lotion SPF 30 (Normal to Dry Skin): A great broad spectrum facial moisturizer that is non-comedogenic, non-irritating and contains ceramides, niacinamide and hyaluronic acid. Love this as a daily moisturizer and it blended well into my skin. However, I wasn’t able to layer my foundation on top of it without buildup.
2. Lavanila The Healthy Sunscreen SPF 30 Body Cream: This certified organic sunscreen has a thick and creamy consistency that is chemical free. Formulated without parabens, sulfates, synthetic fragrances and dyes it left my skin hydrated and protected. It did leave a slight white cast on my skin at first but after blending well it disappeared.
3. Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch Sunblock SPF 30: Wonderful protection without a greasy finish. I used this during a trip to Miami where the humidity is ridiculous. It absorbs quickly, didn’t clog my pores and didn’t leave a shiny finish. It’s also water resistant which is a must if you are taking frequent dips in the pool and ocean. Great for the face and body.
4. Clinique City Block Sheer Oil Free Daily Face Protector SPF 25: This particular sunscreen by Clinique is tinted and works well on sensitive skin. However, even after blending well this tinted face protector ended up looking like I was wearing foundation that was too light for my skin (especially around my hairline). This might be a better fit on light to medium skin tones.
6. Loreal Sublime Sun SPF 30 Liquid Silk For Face: Amazing product! After shaking the bottle, the product comes out on the watery side. Don’t let that worry you, it’s lightweight and feels so silky on your face. The oil-free and sweat/water resistant formula worked wonders under my foundation and didn’t create that build up. Best of all, it left no white cast on my skin. Success!